After the recent rains, the Village is preparing for the start of mosquito season. Public Works staff is installing mosquito larvicide briquettes in catch basins and other Village-owned standing water locations in an effort to eliminate the growth of mosquitoes. The active ingredients in this EPA-registered larvicide are not harmful to humans, pets, fish, animals or other insects (including honeybees).
Residents can also assist with reducing the mosquito population by:
- Emptying wading pools at least once a week and storing indoors when not in use.
- Make sure door and window screens are tight-fitting and in good repair.
- Keep roof gutters free of leaves and other debris.
- Cover trash containers to keep out rain water.
- Change water in bird baths twice a week.
- Pet dishes stored outside need to be emptied daily.