Village Hall is open during normal business hours. Building permit applications may be submitted as follows:  

  1. In person, Monday-Thursday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and Friday, 8:30 am to 12:00 pm
  2. By mail: Village of Cary, Attn: Building Permits, 755 Georgetown Dr., Cary, IL 60013
  3. Via email to: (Please note your address in the subject line.)
  4. FedEx, UPS or USPS
  5. Utilizing the drop box at the Cary Municipal Center

Village staff is available Monday to Thursday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and Friday 8:30 am to 12:00 pm to answer questions. Contact:  (847) 639-1100 or via email at: 

Building Permits

Building permits are required for most home improvement/remodeling projects. Building permits help to ensure that a project is constructed properly and to code. For information regarding new residential or commercial construction, you are encouraged to call the Community Development Department at (847) 639-1100 to discuss your plans and the Village's permit process. Development / impact fees for new construction can be reviewed here (PDF)
Projects that require a Permit (PDF)
Projects that DO NOT require a Permit (PDF)  

Permit Applications

Permit applications are available online by clicking on the link below, or in person at the Cary Municipal Center, 755 Georgetown Drive, Cary, IL, 60013.

Residential Building Permit Application (PDF)
Commercial / Industrial Permit Application (PDF)
Food Truck Permit Application (PDF)

Required Information

Most home remodeling projects require a permit application. Additional information and requirements are noted in the project information handouts listed below, and may include:

  • A copy of the plat of survey for your property, work area marked and dimensions and measurements noted 
  • A general description of work to be done
  • All contractor and sub contractor contact information
  • Plans and/or drawings of the work to be done 

Standard residential home improvement permit applications are usually reviewed and processed within ten business days. The following standard residential permits can be issued over-the-counter: 

  • Roof and Siding
  • Water heaters
  • Sewer repairs
  • Windows and Doors
  • Furnace and Air Conditioning replacement

Please Note:  If you don't see your project listed below, please call the Community Development department at (847) 639-1100 for information regarding permit requirements.