Bulk Items & Recycling
ne free bulk item(excluding construction debris and appliances) will be collected each week free of charge without a blue prepaid refuse bag. If more than one eligible bulk item is placed at a time, the prepaid refuse bags need to be attached in order for them to be collected.
Mattresses:Advanced Disposal will also collect mattresses as a bulk item, but they must be wrapped in plastic and have one prepaid refuse bag attached to each item.
- Additionally, there are alternative ways to recycle or donate a clean gently used mattress. The non-profit Tuck Sleep Foundation is working to increase awareness of recycling opportunities for the 15 to 20 million mattresses that are disposed of annually with most ending up in landfills. Their website, https://www.tuck.com/mattress-disposal, includes suggestions to help residents combat this problem and provides locally available options such as The Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity ReStore to donate or recycle your old mattress.
Christmas Tree Collection
Construction DebrisUp to 2 cubic yards of construction debris will be collected at no additional cost on your regular collection day. The debris must weigh no more than 50 pounds. Construction debris should be placed inside the refuse cart or bundled, no loose debris will be collected. Construction debris in excess of 2 cubic yards will be picked up by appointment only, call Advanced directly at (847) 272-4145 to schedule a pick up and payment.
White Goods / AppliancesTo schedule a bulk item or white good/appliance collection please call Advanced Disposal at (847) 272-4145 at least one day prior to your scheduled collection day. Bulk items and white goods/appliances will be collected on your normal collection day. There is a $30 per item fee that will be billed on your next quarterly billing.
*Note: Appliances that contain Freon are not acceptable for pick up as the transfer stations do not accept Freon
Commonwealth Edison-Recycle Your Refrigerator Or Freezer
Acceptable Recycling Materials Please be sure to rinse and clean all containers. Carts that are contaminated with refuse or contain improper materials will be tagged and not collected until the following week.
Acceptable Materials Include:Containers:
- Aluminum cans, tray and foil (trays and foil must be cleaned)
- Steel cans and tins
- Aseptic packaging and gable top containers (milk and juice cartons)
- Glass bottles and jars (clear, brown, and green) No window glass, auto glass, dinnerware or ceramics
- PET soda, water and flavored beverage bottles (#1 clear and green plastic resin)
- HDPE milk, water and juice jugs (#2 clear plastic resin)
- HDPE detergent and fabric softener containers (#2 colored plastic resin)
- PVC narrow neck containers only (#3 plastic resin) Such as health and beauty aid products, household cleaners
- LDPE grocery containers (#4 plastic resin) Such as margarine tubs, frozen desert cups, six pack rings, etc.
- PP grocery containers (#5 plastic resin) Such as yogurt cups, and narrow neck syrup and ketchup bottles
- #7 plastic resin narrow neck containers only
- Plastic buckets, such as kitty litter containers (5 gallon size maximum)
- All containers to be emptied and rinsed clean
- No motor oil, insecticide, herbicide or hazardous chemical containers
- No plastic bags-instead reuse or return to grocery or department stores
- No plastic sheets or film (no plastic sheets, tarps or wrap)
- Expanded foam and clear polystyrene not accepted per joint advisory from the Illinois Recycling Association, Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs, and Region 5 U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
- Newspaper, including inserts (remove plastic sleeves)
- Cardboard (no waxed cardboard)
- Kraft (brown paper) bags
- Magazines, catalogs and telephone books
- Office, computer, notebook and gift wrap paper (no metal clips, spirals, binders)
- Chipboard (cereal, cake and food mix boxes, gift boxes, shoe boxes, etc.)
- Carrier Stock (soda and beer can carrying cases)
- Junk Mail and envelopes (no plastic cards, stick on labels or unused stamps)
- Paper back books (no hard cover books)