Metra Station Improvement
|ALERT: The closure of the west stairway to the platform at the Cary Metra Station originally scheduled for June 18th has been delayed. Once the new closure date is determined, the Village will announce the schedule to the commuters and provide further information. The stairway will be open for commuter use the week of June 18th. To accommodate construction equipment, motorcycle parking has been reassigned. See below for the new location:|
In partnership with Metra, the Village is seeking to improve the existing facilities at the commuter rail station located in downtown Cary. The Village has assumed the role of lead agency for the design phase and Metra will lead the construction phase. Metra has already secured a $2 million federal grant that would be used towards the construction of the improvements, with the understanding that costs beyond this grant amount would be covered by the Village.
The 2018/2019 improvements at the Metra Station include:
- Fiber optic utility relocations (2 lines)
- New pedestrian gates/signals at the northwest end of the platform
- New accessible ramp (replacing the existing stairs) at the northwest end of the platform
- New depot building with ticket agent office along the inbound platform
- New enclosed secondary warming shelter along inbound platform
- Replacement of the inbound platform structure
Metra is leading the construction phase with work anticipated to begin in 2018 following the completion of fiber optic utility relocations and installation of a new pedestrian ramp at the northwest end of the platform.
Construction of the new station improvements will require temporary pedestrian detours for commuters at certain times. Signage and maps posted on this website will be utilized to help navigate commuters during the construction.
- 06/12/18 - Beginning Monday 6/18/18, the west stairway between the north commuter parking lot and the Metra platform will be closed during construction. Please follow the posted detour and allow for extra time to reach the platform.
- 06/06/18 - Fiber optic work began and was completed June 8.
- 05/30/18 - The first of two fiber optic relocation projects will begin June 6. Access to the platform for commuters will not be disrupted during this work.
- 05/23/18 - Metra issued the Notice to Proceed to the station building contractor. A pre-construction meeting is being coordinated to determine the construction schedule (targeting late summer).
- 05/01/18 - Village Board of Trustees approved the bid award for the pedestrian ramp to Copenhaver Construction. Targeting early summer construction and completion in August.
- 04/18/18 - Metra's Board of Directors approved the bid for the construction of the new commuter station facility, with Accel Construction Services Group.
- 04/11/18 - Village Board of Trustees approved the Village of Cary's contribution to the Metra contract for the construction of the new commuter station facility and an intergovernmental agreement between Metra and the Village.